Monday, February 5, 2007

Eco-Friendly Advertising

Joshua Jaffe, who writes for the VC Ratings blog, posted a story on Hangar Network, "a startup that sells advertising on biodegradable dry-cleaning hangers." This story can be found through either "Reads" list to the right or by clicking here.

At first blush, putting ads on biodegradable hangars sounds like sort of a dumb idea, but the more I thought about it, the more sense it made to me. Pretty much all the hangars I have in my closet are from the dry cleaner, and who knows how many times I walk by them every day. Seeing "We [HEART] our Customers" gets pretty old after awhile--why not ads instead? And they're biodegradable, which is nice I guess.

More to the point, dry cleaning hangars could be an extremely efficient way to market directly to my target audience--young professionals in upscale, yuppyish parts of town. According to their website, Washington, DC is their number 8 market. I've put in an inquiry for a rate card; who knows, if the price is right, you might see the Referral Union logo under your next suit jacket or blouse.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

quite interesting article. I would love to follow you on twitter.