Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Pre-registration Email Going out Today

I finally figured out how to use Outlook to manage the various email accounts associated with the site, and I composed my pre-registration email. I tried to send it out at work, but my company's firewall blocks my outgoing emails (incoming messages are fine, apparently), so I will have to do it when I get home.

For some background:

I have decided to prime the pump somewhat before the site comes online. While it will be about six weeks before it's good to go, I want to populate the database with quality postings before that. This way, the database isn't empty when people show up. No one wants to be the first person to arrive at a party. I selected various people from among my professional and personal network who are good candidates as either applicants or current employees, or know people who might be (if you get the email and know people who could use the site, pass it along!).

The email gives a good overview of what the site does and what's coming in the future. I also introduced my "Six months free" promotion. I will be giving away free subscriptions to a number of pre-registrants. This way, they will have sufficient time to find applicants to refer before they have to pay. It's sort of a two-pronged strategy. First, it incentivizes early registration, which helps me, and second, the more quickly the site matches up applicants and current employees, the sooner it will be able to publish testimonials. Pre-registrants who are not selected for six free months will get two free months instead. Applicants are free, of course.

No comments: